Monday, December 6, 2010

Being a Sister Missionary: Is it for me?

I was talking with my roomates the other night and we were talking about relationships and how girls and guys are so different in how they deal with certain things. We eventually got to talking about the difference between men and women missionaries and what they're like once they have returned. I thought a bit on women missionaries, and then realized I would soon be having my birthday that would make me the right age to be able to go on one myself.  I never thought that this time in my life would come, and so quickly! I was totally caught off guard.  However, it really hit me and I have been thinking about it a lot lately. Going on a mission no matter what is going to be an amazing life-changing experience. However, I don't want to end up going for the wrong reasons because a mission is NOT easy. You are always keeping busy and work very long days, and if you have to learn a language that adds even more effort that is required of you to be able to do a good job and be a productive missionary. If you don't go into the mission with the right intent and for the right reasons, the mission can be made so much harder and I don't think you will learn from it what you could have if you had gone in prepared and ready to teach the gospel. I have always been nervous about teaching, but I was talking with my friend on the phone after that discussion with my roomates and he said that when you teach people the gospel, they don't so much remember what you say, but how they felt WHEN you spoke to them about certain things of the gospel.  It's mainly just introducing them to that feeling and have them learn by the Spirit through you. I found that to be very interesting. I think it could be a wonderful experience and a great opportunity to serve the Lord by providing service to our fellow men and women. I just need to find out for myself if it is the right time to go and if it is for me.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Katherine, you don't know me, but I came across this blog post because of the picture. I was looking for something to post on my blog, for my "farewell" post, because I get set apart for my own mission tomorrow. I know how you feel, about how it comes up so fast! I never thought this day would come. I've always wanted to go on a mission, but it was very difficult for me to decide when to go. And after I got my call, it was so difficult to remember why I was going; Satan has never worked so hard on me in my life. But it's worth it. I encourage you to do whatever you feel is right, and to study Preach my Gospel and your patriarchal blessing to find out if a mission is something the Lord wants you to do and when. Anyway, sorry for being a creeper, and being one of those people who comments on the blog of someone I don't know. Missions, especially sisters who are considering going, just make me so excited! I hope you figure everything out; good luck with school and whatever ends up happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rachel! Thank you SOOO much for your comment! I honestly didn't think anyone even read this blog haha! And don't worry, you aren't a creeper. I really appreciate your comment. It really is crazy how much Satan does to pull you off the right track. I found it interesting when you said "And after I got my call, it was so difficult to remember why I was going; Satan has never worked so hard on me in my life." I can see him jump in even when trying to pick my major. Thank you for the reading suggestions too. I just recently bought a Preach My Gospel and have really enjoyed it. And I am reading the Book of Mormon again while highlighting certain things and it has helped me appreciate it even more. That is so awesome that you decided to go and that it worked out for you. You are such a great example! Hopefully I will be able to figure out what is best for me. I hope you were able to find a photo that best suits your "farewell" blogpost! :) Thanks again for the comment, if you get to read this haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey!! I stopped by too because of the picture :) I just got my call.. I'm wondering if you've made a decision yet!! That helps sooo much what Rachel said, about Satan. Man, I totally feel it. But wow, once you realize it's satan that's influencing you, it goes away. Crazy!! I still need all the support I can get though, so thanks for help, sistas!! Let me know, Katherine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am planning on serving a mission, I am only 12 and also came across this blog because of the PowerPoint I'm currently working on called "My Life Goals" thanks so much to all the women in my family and around the world that have influenced me to serve! Thanks for this article, it really inspires about the decision of serving a mission!

    ReplyDelete